Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Vampires Beware: Garlic Roasted Vegetables!

When asked what he would like for his mother to send to the US from England, Lee asked for her garlic roasted vegetables. Since customs may have an issue with that, she sent the recipe. I tried to make these once before, but I didn't see a container marked "mixed herbs" at the grocery store and wasn't sure how much of a difference there was, but used Bell's Seasoning. I didn't have any fresh garlic, so I used powdered. DB tasted a difference and said that, while they were still good, they were nothing like it was supposed to taste.

When we went to England I picked up a tub of mixed herbs so I could have the right combo. I also made sure to get some fresh garlic this time. The fresh garlic makes a huge difference! I'm not so sure about the herbs, but it doesn't hurt. I figured that Sunday would be the perfect day to try them since they take a bit of time. My boyfriend said they were much better this time. I served this as a side with meatloaf. I've never measured out the ingredients for my meatloaf, it's purely by sight so I won't post a recipe for that.



Garlic and Herb Roasted Vegetables

1
medium sweet potatoes, wedges (peeled & cut into 1 inch(2.5cm)
2
small whole carrots
2
small whole parsnips
1
medium red onions, peeled & cut into quarters
2 medium white potatoes (peeled & cut into wedges)
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped mixed herbs (including thyme,rosemary & sage)

salt & fresh ground pepper
  1. Pre-heat the oven to highest setting.
  2. Need a solid baking sheet 16x12 inches.
  3. First scrub the carrots & parsnips, dry them well & place in a large bowl with all the other prepared veg.
  4. Now add the crushed garlic, olive oil & mixed herbs, then mix to make sure they are covered well with oil.
  5. Arrange on baking sheet, sprinkle with salt & pepper & cook in pre-heated oven on a high shelf for 35-40 mins or until they are cooked through.




 

Made by Lena