Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Spicing up our Night

I had some leftover white chili in the freezer and thought I'd make some of that for dinner tonight. Since that is technically not a new dish tonight, I needed to make something to go along with it. I've never really eaten chili much, so I have no clue what goes with it. I went to trusty Recipezaar and did a search for Mexican side dishes and came across a recipe for Mexican mashed potatoes. I had a plan!

The recipe called for white and green onions as well as some hot sauce. I didn't have any of that, so I improvised with onion powder and crushed red pepper for some spice. It ended up being a great side dish and I will make it again sometime.

Mexican Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4

4 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Cook mashed potatoes.

While mashed potatoes are cooking, sauté tomatoes, crushed red pepper, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft.

When potatoes and tomato mixture are finished, mix together. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and let sit until melted.


 

Made by Lena