Thursday, January 24, 2008

Gone in a Curry

In case you haven't noticed, I'm really trying this whole curry thing a lot lately. We bought more jars than I realized in England and it does seem to be an excellent way to use up leftover meats. I also am trying to get more veggies in our diet since I'm not used to eating them and my boyfriend doesn't feel like it's a meal without them. I know his way is healthier and better, so I'm trying to rework my mind and get in the habit of always having a vegetable.

I wanted to use the rest of the roast beef. Tomorrow is pizza night and we're going to treat ourselves to a meal out on Saturday, so it needed to be used up today. I sliced up the meat into ½ inch cubes, put it in a small pot with some Tikka curry sauce, frozen corn, and frozen peas. I let that heat up and made some basmati rice to go with it.

I'd never had basmati rice. It was more expensive than the regular long-grained rice I usually buy. I found a huge bag of it at Sam's Club for $12 and ended up going with that, so we now have plenty of rice for curry! I didn't notice a taste difference between the long-grain and basmati rice, but the texture and shape of the rice was different. I liked it. I'm definitely becoming used to curry. I used to feel the mildest one was too hot and I easily ate this, which has medium heat.

I think I'm embracing my boyfriend's British side and becoming a curry convert...at least for the ease of using up leftovers. The taste is growing on me.

 

Made by Lena