Monday, January 14, 2008

Not So Spicy Chicken and Mashed Potatoes

Today was just not my day cooking wise. I wanted to bake some chocolate chip cookies, but I'm trying to clean my oven and the Easy Off is sitting on it. I was cooking some chicken in the crock pot and I remembered to turn it on, but not plug it in. To top it all off, I forgot to turn on the burner when I was trying to make the mashed potatoes.

It all ended up ok in the end. I got the recipe for South of the Border Chicken from the chicken I cooked yesterday. I figured it would be spicy. Last time I made the mashed potatoes, they were spicy, so I was expecting a spicy meal. I guess we don't always get what we expect.

The meal was good, but last time I made the mashed potatoes, I didn't have any hot sauce, so I put in some red pepper flakes. This time I had some hot sauce, but didn't know how hot it was and didn't put in as much as the recipe called for. They weren't spicy at all. The chicken wasn't even spicy, and it smelled like it would be very hot...Next time I'll add some more pepper to the chicken and hot sauce to the potatoes.

South of the Border Chicken (from Perdue)


1 Oven Stuffer Roaster (I used two bone-in, skin on chicken breasts)
1 tbsp cumin
6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp Kosher salt

  1. Put chicken in the crock pot. If using whole chicken, remove giblets first.
  2. Sprinkle cumin, garlic, pepper, and salt over chicken.
  3. Cook for 8-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high (times are for whole chicken)
I think I already posted the recipe for the Mexican Mashed Potatoes.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the cooking tomorrow. At least my oven is clean now!

 

Made by Lena