Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Leftover Roast Beef?? Rissoles!!!

I posted the other night about the roast beef I made in the crock pot. We had a roast that was over 3 pounds, but it was just the two of us, so we had quite a bit left over. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I asked around and rissoles was one of the recipes recommended to me.

I wasn't given a real recipe, I was just told to take the leftover roast, an onion, parsley, a pinch of cinnamon, breadcrumbs, and an egg, mix it, coat with flour, and fry in a bit of oil. I'm a budding cook, and that sounded simple enough, so I went with it and just gave it a go.

I had about 2 pounds of meat left, and figured that would make too much rissole for tonight, so I took out my new chef's knife and minced about half the meat. (It was recommended that I use a food processor, but I didn't have one so I had to do it the old-fashioned way. It wasn't bad mincing the meat, I just sliced it thinly in two directions so it looked shredded, laid the shreds flat and pressed my knife over them. I could not have done this with my old knives!) I then minced the onion, put in about a tablespoon of parsley, about 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, one egg...and a little too much cinnamon. I didn't have my computer in the kitchen and I remembered there was cinnamon, but not a pinch. I put in about a teaspoon, which was too much. I then mixed it and made patties, which I coated in flour. The patties were fried in a coating of oil in a skillet until brown on each side.















My boyfriend thought they were brilliant. I liked them, but will try to remember to only use a pinch of cinnamon next time. I tried them plain and found them a bit dry, but that may be the extra cinnamon and maybe too much flour? I tried a bit of ketchup on them, but don't think they tasted right with ketchup (although my boyfriend did like them with ketchup). I finally ate them with some heated up leftover gravy. Lee ended up eating his on a bun with some cheese and ketchup on top, like a cheeseburger. For a side dish I put some salt and pepper on the leftover vegetables, put them in a 450°F oven and heated until browned and sizzling.

I'll definitely make these again and keep it as a possibility for using up leftover roast beef.

 

Made by Lena