Friday, February 29, 2008

Yet Another Apple Dessert

I guess I'm on an apple kick lately. It's just that I don't always feel like having the dinner be my new food, and I'm not usually home for breakfast and lunch when school is in session, so I want something quick and easy for a dessert. Both my boyfriend and I love fruit and the fruit just isn't that good in the winter. Apples aren't as good as the ones you can pick from an apple orchard in the fall, but they don't seem to go bad as quickly as many other types of fruit.

I'm starting to run low on variations of apple skillet recipes, but I did manage to find one with a bit of a sweet taste. This recipe called for honey, which I'd never had in an apple recipe before. Yes, this apple fan, with a bit of a sweet tooth, has never even thought of adding some honey to my apples! Well...I just couldn't leave it at that.

The recipe I found was meant to be a side dish instead of a dessert, but the poster mentioned that if cinnamon is added it gave a dessert taste. In the spirit of making this a dessert, I also decided to add a touch of sugar.

This was a good recipe, the honey did add a nice sweetness to it, but it didn't have a lot of taste and we both preferred the last two apple dishes I made. I like the idea of adding honey to the dish, so I think I might play around with the ingredients a bit more and see if we can get it more to our tastes. These seem like they may be good over vanilla ice cream.

Skillet Apples with Honey

4 apples, sliced thinly and cored; peeling is up to you
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon honey

  1. Combine apples and lemon juice in a bowl. Coat apples well with the juice.
  2. In a skillet, or sauté pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
  3. Add all remaining ingredients.
  4. Cook until apples are tender, about 5 minutes.

 

Made by Lena