Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Family Favorite Chicken Wings

Tonight I decided to make my Aunt Jean's recipe for chicken wings. This is a family favorite I grew up with. I've never made these for my boyfriend, my previous attempts ended with spoiled chicken or missing ingredients. Today really was my day for cooking, because it was finally meant to be that I would make these wings. I decided to try my hand at creating a teriyaki rice-a-roni style dish as a side.

My mom would always start to marinate these wings the night before she planned to make them. She turned them halfway and the flavour had really seeped in by then. The wings hadn't defrosted in time for me to start marinating last night, so I started to marinate them first thing this morning. They still tasted excellent, but I prefer them with the extra marinating time.

I wanted a teriyaki rice dish and all the ones I found were fried rice. I didn't have any cooked rice, and at the time I started to look for recipes, I didn't have enough time to cook and cool some, so I decided to make my own version! They turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. My boyfriend said he really liked them too.

Teriyaki Mock Rice-a-Roni
2 tablespoons butter
¼ vermicelli pasta broken into ½-1" pieces
1 cup rice
1¾ cup chicken broth
¼ cup marinade from wings

  1. In a sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat.
  2. Add vermicelli and rice. Cook until golden brown.
  3. Add chicken broth and marinade.
  4. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Aunt Jean's Chicken Wings
2.5 pounds chicken wings
7.5 ounces soy sauce
4 ounces honey
1/2 teaspoon garlic, crushed or powdered
1 cup beef broth

  1. Place soy sauce, honey, garlic, and broth in a baking dish. Stir together.
  2. Add chicken in a single layer on dish. Cover and marinade for at least three hours. Marinade for up to 24 hours for best flavor.
  3. Drain and bake in a 350°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
  4. My mom feels these are even better as leftovers.

 

Made by Lena