Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Valentine's Treat


I'm a little behind in my posting again, it's been a busy week!

This year is the first year in a while I've had someone on Valentine's Day. Sure, my boyfriend and I were a couple last year, but he was in England and I was in the US. There was a snowstorm and a flower debacle, so I just wanted this year's to be really special.

It did not turn out as planned, but one thing that did go well was my red velvet cookies that I topped with cream cheese. I found the recipe on Recipezaar, but due to problems with their switch over to the new format (an frustration in itself) I'm going to post the complete recipe here instead. I wasn't 100% sure about using one of my precious boxes of red velvet cake mix on an unknown recipe, but since I finally found a Wal-Mart that stocks it a couple of weeks ago, and the Wal-Mart is only about 45 minutes away, I figure I could make an occasional trip out there for a stock-up.

I'd never thought of making a cookie from a cake mix. It turned out really well! I don't like cream cheese, so usually I do a Cool Whip® frosting instead, but for today, I decided to go with the traditional cream cheese frosting. I'm actually glad I did, I liked this version of cream cheese frosting! My boyfriend wasn't too sure about the cream cheese either, but he loved it and said he prefers the cookie version of red velvet to the cupcakes. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the frosting, but I'll have to wait until I make more cake to find out.

My only regret for this recipe is that I didn't use my heart-shaped mini cake pan. It would have done well for these cookies. One thing I will try changing in the future is to only make half the frosting, I had too much left over and I don't plan to make anything with cream cheese frosting in the near enough future.

Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cookies
1 package Red Velvet cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
¼ cup butter (softened)
2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups confectioner's sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Mix all the cookie ingredients together with an electric mixer. (The mixer incorporates more air and I think gives it a lighter texture.)
  3. Using a cookie scoop (small ice cream scoop), place in balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
  4. Flatten cookies with bottom of spatula.
  5. Bake in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until the cop looks cracked. The cookies will seem very soft and this is fine.
  6. While the cookies cool, beat cream cheese, butter, milk, and vanilla in a large or medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
  7. With mixer on low, add confectioner's sugar 1 cup at a time until incorporated.
  8. Frost cookies and enjoy!
Note: To make the chocolate cream cheese frosting, add 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled, with the butter.

 

Made by Lena