Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Copy Cat Night

I love Boston Market chicken. I used to get it all the time when I lived alone because it was a healthy dinner that I didn't have to make. I wouldn't have been able to get through a full meal like that if I made it at home because I'd get sick of it before it was all gone.

I found a fabulous copy-cat recipe that Lee thinks actually tastes a little better than Boston Market® because it was more juicy. I told him that I've had it taste just as juicy at Boston Market, but it depends on the day. It was actually incredibly easy. I wish that I had more of it. I particularly like the skin and could eat just that! I think I'll let the chicken marinate for a little while before baking next time, or cook for longer at a lower temperature, and see if that helps the flavour seep into the chicken itself more, the meat didn't have enough time to really take on the seasonings. I cooked it in my new Pampered Chef® stoneware baker and I think it's becoming well-seasoned.

I also made homemade Rice-a-Roni®. It's actually pretty easy, I just want to get the flavouring a bit better and I'll be good to go. I think adding one more chicken bullion cube for a higher concentration of flavor might do the trick. I'll try that next time.

Homemade Rice-a-Roni

2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup vermicelli pasta cut into ½" pieces
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups water
2 chicken bullion cubes (I'll try three next time for extra flavour)
1 tbsp parsley flakes

  1. In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat.
  2. Pour in vermicelli and rice, brown.
  3. Add water, bullion cubes, and parsley flakes. Stir until bullion cubes are dissolved and water is boiling.
  4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.

 

Made by Lena