Monday, February 25, 2008

Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta: Take 1

I love Noodle-Roni. I actually think it's called Pasta Roni now, but I first learned of it as Noodle Roni, so that's what I always still call it. It's kind of like how I still have a hard time calling the amusement park Six Flags New England that name instead of Riverside. It's just not how I think of it.

Anyway, I love the Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta. I love to have it with my Ham and Cheese Crescent Wraps and chicken cordon bleu. Well, tonight was a night for a chicken cordon bleu for me, and a chicken kiev for my boyfriend. It's one of the few boxed meals we've had lately, but it's completely worth it!

I wanted to make my own Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta because I really think I should be able to make it myself, especially since I've learned how to do Rice-a-Roni at home. I also think I have heard they don't have this in England and I really want to have it over there. (A box of powdered buttermilk takes up a lot less space in a suitcase than boxes and boxes of noodle roni!) I have powdered buttermilk and other ingredients listed on the package, so I figured I would go for it. Stop & Shop was having a sale on Noodle Roni this weekend, so I bought a few boxes. I opened one up to use for dinner and as a guide for figuring out how to make it myself.

I should have tried making my dry mix before beginning to cook dinner, but oh well. You live you learn! I was trying to add ingredients while the milk, water, and butter were heating up. I was sniffing the powdered mixes, trying to get the scent right and also watching the coloring to see how I was doing. I ended up having to put in the store bought stuff before I was finished with my mixture. I was doing ok until this happened! I ended up having too much garlic and onion powder for this mixture. It also ended up being a little on the dry side. I think that in my efforts to make the mixture be right, I had too much of the mix (I was trying to compensate for the garlic and onion powder).

I'm going to store the recipe here so I can keep it for tweaking, but unless you are going to play around with the ingredients to fix it yourself, don't try it yet!

Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta: Take 1 5 tablespoons buttermilk powder
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon parsley
1 1/3 cups water
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
140g angel hair pasta

  1. Heat butter, milk, and water in a 2 quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. When just boiling, add the seasonings and pasta.
  3. Boil until pasta is tender.
  4. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-15 minutes (my sauce pan holds the heat very well and takes a lot longer to cool) until sauce is thickened.

 

Made by Lena