Monday, February 4, 2008

Toad in the Hole


I heard that the UK is trying to get a National Yorkshire Pudding Day. Since my boyfriend moved over here this year and we both love Yorkshire Pudding so much, I thought it would be nice to be a little bit of history in the making. My beloved Patriots were playing in the Super Bowl and I knew I wouldn 't want to do a full roast dinner, so we decided that I would try to make some Toad in the Hole.

Despite the odd name, this is actually a simple and tasty dish that has sausages, not toads in it. I didn't have any meat drippings since I wasn't doing a roast, but I used some vegetable oil instead. Let me tell you, that vegetable oil gets smoky! We had guests over for the big game and we all had our eyes burning a bit. I think I put in a little too much oil though, so that could be part of it. I used plain breakfast sausages because my boyfriend feels those are the best for Toad in the Hole. Our friends and I loved this dish and they were amazed at how easy it seemed to be for me to make it and said they'd like to try it sometime.

The recipe is posted on Recipezaar. The only change I made was to refrigerate the batter for a little while. It's supposed to help the pudding rise, but I didn't notice much of a difference. It did help with the timing though.

 

Made by Lena