Sunday, February 3, 2008

I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken!

A couple of months ago, I found a recipe on Recipezaar called "City Chicken, but It's Not Chicken!" We both loved it, but I didn't make it how the recipe said because I didn't have garlic salt, chicken broth, or onion soup mix. I used garlic powder, chicken bullion cubes, and onion powder as substitutes. I wanted to see if following the recipe to the letter (well, aside from the wooden skewers, I still didn't have those and it isn't a big deal to fish out the pieces of pork)would make it taste even better.

Let me just say, this recipe is heaven and I don't usually like pork! I first tried this recipe because my boyfriend likes pork and we had bought a huge pork tenderloin that he had cut up into smaller pieces. I'm becoming a big fan of using onion soup mix in my cooking. I'm really trying to use fresh ingredients whenever possible, but I found out this year that my family recipe for stuffing uses it (and this is one of the best stuffings I've ever had), and now this recipe uses it too.

I did veer off the recipe in the method: I put the flour, garlic salt, and pepper in a zip-lock bag so I could just shake it up. I used some tongs to take the pork out of the bag and place it in the skillet. I realize now that I should probably have saved some of that flour for the gravy instead of using plain flour from a bag. The gravy is by far the best part of that dish and there is loads to smother over the pork and mashed potatoes. We both ate until we couldn't eat another bite.

It is very important to just use plain mashed potatoes as a side dish for this recipe. The gravy has such a strong, fabulous flavor that any herbed mashed potatoes would be too much and take away from the delicious gravy.

We were both so excited to eat, that I forgot to take pictures, but there are pictures on the Recipezaar site.

 

Made by Lena