Thursday, February 7, 2008

Great Balls of Garlic!

I had a late night at work and didn't much feel like cooking, so I decided to make a well-loved comfort dinner. Of course, I couldn't use my usual recipe for meatballs since I needed to try a new recipe (didn't have much time for a homemade tomato sauce), so I found a new recipe for meatballs.

This recipe called for freshly minced garlic. In hindsight, I should have used my garlic press, but I minced the garlic with a knife. My garlic press gets the garlic much smaller than I was able to mince it. The fresh garlic added a wonderful flavour to the meatballs, but in some spots it tasted a bit too much like garlic. Mixed with the garlic bread I served as a side, it ended up being way too much garlic for this meal! My boyfriend and I both have a strong garlic taste in our mouths and just KNOW we will be smelling of garlic for days! At least we won't have to worry about any vampires.

I've never made meatballs in the oven without browning them in a skillet before. I think they turned out really well just baking them in the oven on a cookie sheet. I actually think they taste better than cooking in the skillet. I'd make this recipe again, but cut down on the garlic.

Spaghetti and Meatballs

I just used jarred spaghetti sauce tonight.

1 lb. ground beef
1 small clove garlic, minced (I used large and it was too much)
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs

½ cup tomato sauce
½ teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt
pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Combine ingredients in bowl and mix until well blended.
  3. Form meat into small balls and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through.

 

Made by Lena