Friday, February 8, 2008

Pizza Night with a Twist....Tandoori Chicken Pizza

When I think pizza, I think of a lovely crust with a delightful marinara sauce...nice, soothing, and comforting. There are some pizzas that are completely different and having decided to join the recipe tag game on Recipezaar, I found one that uses a curry sauce! Since my boyfriend loves curry, I thought it would be a nice treat for him to try. I figured I'd try it for him.

One fun part of the curry pizza experience was going to the Indian import store. On one hand, it's nice to get the curry things so close and for cheaper than at the supermarket, but it's frustrating that the British Import store is about 45 minutes away! We'd get so much more from there. I was very excited to find okra at the Indian import store!!! I haven't really had fried okra much since we moved back up north, and I have never found them anywhere. I saw some really interesting vegetables at the import store too that I might want to try sometime. My boyfriend wants to try some Indian tea, so we may take a trip back there for that.

Anyway, back to the topic. This recipe is from the California Pizza Kitchen®. It's not very difficult to make, but it was a little time consuming to prep. I think the best way to do this is to combine each group of ingredients ahead of time so they can just be dumped in the pans quickly since the stages of the cooking process move fast.

My boyfriend really liked this pizza, but doesn't think he'll want it every week; he feels it's more of a treat pizza than an everyday pizza. I thought it was ok, but I didn't eat much of it. I'd eat it once in a while for him, but wouldn't order it or make it for myself.

I did a method slightly different from the way it's written, so I'll post it here. One more thing to add, this seemed to make enough for one extra-large pizza, so if making a regular pizza, you may want to halve the ingredients. I will halve the recipe next time.

Tandoori Chicken Pizza
tomato-yogurt curry (for the pizza sauce)
1 teaspoon olive oil

1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ cup diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
¼ teaspoon minced jalapeƱo pepper
¼ cup chicken stock
¼ cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon butter

Tandoori chicken
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger

1 teaspoon miced garlic
½ teaspoon minced jalapeƱos
2 tablespoons Tandoori paste
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 boneless chicken breasts

pizza
1 pizza dough
½ small zucchini, chopped
½ small yellow squash, chopped
1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup major grey's chutney (optional)

The recipe says to cook the sauce first, then do the chicken and the rest, but I cooked the chicken in the skillet and it would be better to have that cooking while making the sauce.

  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. Combine all the marinade ingredients for the chicken. Cut the chicken breasts into cubes.
  3. Put chicken in a skillet over medium heat and add the Tandoori marinade. Cook until done.
  4. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside to cool.
  5. For the tomato-yogurt curry, put the oil and garlic in a saucepan and heat until the garlic is translucent. Add the remaining curry ingredients except for the cilantro and butter.
  6. Boil curry ingredients for about 3 minutes. Add butter and cilantro. Set the mixture aside.
  7. In the skillet where the chicken was cooked, there should be remaining sauce. Place in the zucchini and squash and cook for a few minutes, just to start the cooking process.
  8. Use a ladle to spoon the tomato-yogurt curry over the pizza dough. Just use a little, enough to coat a thin layer or it will overflow when the additional ingredients are added.
  9. Place the zucchini and squash in a thin layer over the sauce and cover with mozzarella. Place chicken over mozzarella and top with cilantro.
  10. Cook pizza in oven for about 15-20 minutes or until dough is browned and cheese is melted.

 

Made by Lena