Friday, February 22, 2008

Creamy Chicken and Crescent Rolls

Yesterday the cough I had became a full-blown cold. I was very sore and didn't feel like moving. I was planning to do the crock pot dinner I was going to do Wednesday. My boyfriend ended up putting it all together and throwing it in the crock put. He's not a cook, a fact he admits himself, and this was a very simple recipe, one he couldn't really mess up!

I was really disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to make the crescent roll recipe I found. I took some pain medicine and it really made a difference. I felt up to making the rolls. One problem...we ran out of milk! I had already put the yeast in the water to proof. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it! I ended up getting rid of it because it was 2 hours before I was able to get some milk and the yeast started to have a fishy smell to it. I found out later I could have added a bit of flour to the yeast, but I didn't know at the time and I had to start fresh. This recipe made A LOT of dough! The recipe said the woman uses bread flour, but I wonder how it would turn out with regular all-purpose flour. I might try that next time since the recipe itself doesn't state the type of flour. I divided it into 12 balls of 165g each. Now I know I'm still in the US and we don't use metric much, but I'm finding that it is much more practical and easy to do division in metric. I rolled out one ball and wrapped the rest in saran wrap and put them in a freezer bag for later. I am able to get 4 rolls out of each ball, I figure two rolls each is a good amount. Unfortuntely, we ended up having these as a snack because I didn't get to make them in time for dinner.

The crescent rolls were a great snack later on because neither one of us ate much of the dinner. The meal was very watered down and we could see the fat on top of it. Also, there wasn't much taste to the potatoes. The chicken tasted good, but the skin was just so fatty. I also think it would taste better if the potatoes were in smaller chunks instead of quarters. They didn't really get much of the taste of the soup in it. I think I might try this again with less water because I can see how it has potential to taste really good.

Creamy Crock Pot Chicken

4 chicken thighs

4 red potatoes, quartered
3½ ounces mushrooms
10 ounce condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
2 cups water (I'm going to leave out this next time)
1 tablespoon minced onions
salt
pepper

  1. Put ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for about 6 hours or until potatoes are tender and chicken is falling off the bone.

Crescent Rolls
½ ounce yeast
½ cup sugar
1 cup warm water
1 cup milk, scalded (heated 2 minutes in microwave)
3 eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon salt
7 cups flour

  1. Dissolve the yeast in water with one tablespoon sugar.
  2. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until yeast is dissolved and mixture is frothy.
  3. Combine milk, butter, salt, and remaining sugar in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add 2 cups of flour and mix well.
  5. Add the yeast mixture and eggs, beat well.
  6. Slowly add the rest of the flour until a soft dough forms.
  7. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
  8. Knead on a lightly floured surface and place in a large, greased bowl.
  9. Cover and let rise until doubled.
  10. Punch down and divide the dough.
  11. Roll and use a pizza cutter to slice into small triangles.
  12. Starting with the large end, roll into crescent shapes.
  13. Place rolls on a cookie sheet, cover, and let rise for an additional hour. Be sure to leave plenty of space between the rolls to allow room to rise.
  14. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375°F until golden brown.

 

Made by Lena