Saturday, April 12, 2008

White Chili

I have made White Chili before when I got the general ingredient list and method from a forum I frequent, but I used a jar of salsa for it and ground turkey for the meat. It was also a lot of going ty taste and feel, and being new to it, I wanted to write it out as a recipe so I wouldn't forget. This time I made my own homemade salsa and used some ground pork for the meat.

It turned out great! It was a lot easier for me to adjust the heat of the chili since I made the salsa myself as well. I also used some extra tomatillos to add liquid to the chili instead of as much chicken broth as I had before.

The only problem I had was that I used dried pinto beans and didn't soak them for long enough, so they were still a little firm. They still weren't bad, my boyfriend didn't even comment on that, but it was noticable to me.

I'm not sure I noticed a huge difference in flavour between using a jar of salsa and making my own, but it's been so long since I made it, that I could just have forgotten.

An interesting note: In the UK, they serve chili curry-style, over rice. My boyfriend was surprised and confused to find out that in the US it's served like a soup, in a bowl. He can't bring himself to eat it like a soup and must have it over rice. I don't care either way.

 

Made by Lena