Saturday, April 12, 2008

Easter Brunch

I thought that since Easter is a holiday, I would make a special breakfast for Lee and me. We both love a Full English breakfast. We don't have the right type of bacon here in the States, but I figured I would make do with what we had and try my best. For a Full English, there is usually some fried toast and baked beans as sides. I didn't do the toast or beans, but I did decide to make an English/American fusion breakfast by adding home fries.

I had never made home fries before, but I thought I'd try them. I looked around online and decided to try to make a recipe that was my own and a combination of what I saw.

I was worried about the breakfast turning out well. I love the flavor of the mushrooms for a Full English and was afraid I wouldn't be able to get mine to taste so good. I was also unsure of how long it would take. I started as soon as I got up and it ended up taking me about an hour to make the breakfast. I could probably do it a bit faster with a griddle, but I was using one skillet and a sauté pan for the home fries.

I had a hard time with the home fries. Mine kept sticking to the pan and they didn't brown properly. The home fries did have excellent flavor, though.

English/American Easter Breakfast

vegetable oil
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
butter
mixed herbs
4 links breakfast sausage
4 slices of bacon
½ cup button mushrooms, brushed
1 tomato (medium-sized)
2 eggs

  1. Heat 1/3-1/2 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet.
  2. Meanwhile, melt a slab of butter in a separate skillet. Add breakfast sausage and cook until done.
  3. Transfer the cooked sausage to a ovenproof pan and keep warm.
  4. Pour some of the sausage grease into the skillet for the home fries. Add potatoes and sprinkle with mixed herbs. Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
  5. In the skillet used for the sausage, add the bacon. Cook until done.
  6. Transfer the cooked bacon to the oven to keep warm.
  7. Place the button mushrooms in the skillet and cook until done. Transfer to oven.
  8. Cut tomato in half, season with salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Cook flat side down until beginning to be tender (about 2-3 minutes). Turn over and cook 2-3 minutes more until tender, but still holding its shape.
  9. Transfer the tomatoes to the oven to keep warm.
  10. Add a small bit of butter to the skillet and cook eggs as desired.

 

Made by Lena