Sunday, April 27, 2008

Heaven in Pretzel Form

Picture it. New Bedford. 2002. I had just taken the children I used to nanny for apple and pumpkin picking followed by a hayride. We went to pay and what to my wondering eyes to I see? Many large pretzels with apple inside. I was intrigued. I was unsure. I had to have it. I was deLIGHTed when two of my favorite tastes came together in my mouth...apple and soft pretzel.

I have longed for these scrumptious creations ever since and finally decided to do something about it. I have long since moved away from New Bedford, and haven't made a trip back to an apple orchard, but wonderful Recipezaar to the rescue again. I found a recipe for apple stuffed pretzels with streusel topping!

I had a big baking weekend and my Kitchen Aid got a fair amount of use, but my taste buds thank it. I had to get the Daring Bakers challenge out of the way yesterday, so today I went for the pretzels.

These were pretty easy to make, but took about 2½ hours in all. The only thing I would change would be to add a little more of the apple filling to the pretzels. I had quite a bit left over, which made for a great munch while waiting for the pretzels to cook, but would have been better inside the pretzel itself because some bites had more pretzel flavor than others.

Dough

2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Filling

3 small granny smith (or other cooking) apples
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves

Streusel

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

Additional ingredients

1/3 cup baking soda
2 cups water
1 egg white
  1. To prepare dough:
  2. Combine yeast, sugar, and water and allow to rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
  3. Meanwhile, mix the flours, salt, and oil in a mixing bowl, then add proofed yeast mixture.
  4. Stir to form a dough.
  5. Place onto lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until a smooth, but slightly sticky dough is formed.
  6. Place into a greased bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit until doubled in size (45-60 minutes).
  7. Use the rising time to prepare the streusel and filling.
  8. To prepare filling:
  9. Peel, core, and thinly (1/4" thick) slice the apples and then cut each slice into 8 pieces. (I cut into 8 slices with my apple corer/slicer, then cut them into thirds width-wise, then half length-wise, and finally into cubes.)
  10. Sauté the apples with 1/2 of the TBS of butter, cinnamon, and cloves until the apples are tender, but not mushy.
  11. Remove from heat and add the additional 1/2 TBS of butter.
  12. To prepare streusel:
  13. Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
  14. Cut in the 4 TBS of butter to a crumb consistency.
  15. Stir in the chopped pecans.
  16. Back to the dough:
  17. When dough has risen, punch down, place on lightly floured board, and cut into 8 equal pieces (mine were 95-98g each).
  18. With hands, roll each piece into a 15" long cylinder.
  19. Flatten the cylinder down with a rolling pin to measure 3" wide by 17" long.
  20. Place 1 1/2 TBS of the filling mixture along the length of each piece and fold the long edge over to meet the other side.
  21. Pinch along the seam to thoroughly enclose the filling.
  22. Roll the dough with your hands to form an even cylinder and fully encapsulate the filling.
  23. Form into a pretzel shape and press to seal.
  24. Place on a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet.
  25. Repeat for all 8 pieces.
  26. Allow to rise on the cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
  27. Preparing the baking soda mix:
  28. While they are rising, boil the water and add to a bowl with baking soda.
  29. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  30. Prepare for baking:
  31. Beat the egg white with water and lay it on a flat plate or shallow bowl.
  32. Lay the streusel topping on a flat plate (I used an 8"x8" cake pan).
  33. When the pretzels have fully risen, drop one at a time into the boiling water for 10 seconds.
  34. Remove with a large slotted spatula/spoon to drain slightly and then drop into the egg white, turn to coat, then drop into the streusel and turn to coat.
  35. Lay each pretzel on the lined cookie sheet.
  36. Repeat this procedure until all pretzels are finished.
  37. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes (check on them at 12 minutes, mine only took 12).
  38. Remove from cookie sheets and place on racks to cool.

 

Made by Lena