Sunday, April 20, 2008

Caribbean Jerk Chicken

On Saturday, I used one of my Lawry's marinades called Caribbean Jerk. I've said before that I'm trying to cut down on the convenience food, but sometimes you just have to use the convenience food for sanity. Maybe I wouldn't want to turn to it as much if I wasn't working, but even on the weekends I just need time to relax and don't want to do as involved meals as I would if I were stay-at-home.

Anyway, I've been learning how to combine coupons with sales through the Grocery Game. It's fabulous so far and we've had each grocery bill cut in half through following this program and each week we need to buy less and less. The Lawry's marinades were on sale, and I had coupons, so I got a few.

I also used a bit of the marinated on the carrots I made as a side dish. I did make the mistake of forgetting to turn on the burner, but the marinade did make our raw carrots taste good!

I grilled the chicken on the George Foreman and they turned out pretty well, but both Lee and I are pretty tired of the George Foreman grill. We both feel that it ends up overcooking the outside a bit in order to properly cook the inside. It also ends up leaving a flat char on the meat, rather than just the regular grill lines people like to see. We decided we would like something like an indoor grill that you use just like an outdoor one.

Anyway, there isn't really a recipe for this. I just marinated the chicken for an hour and grilled it. My plan with the carrots was to steam them with a couple of tablespoons of the marinated and a touch of water. The rice was Herb and Butter Rice-a-Roni.

 

Made by Lena