Saturday, March 1, 2008

English Pancakes: Pizza Style!

Since we didn't make pizza last night, I decided to do pizza tonight. Yesterday, I had been thinking of a conversation we were having on the Leftover Food Queen's forum about breakfast around the world. I had told my story about Shrove Tuesday and it reminded me that I learned pancakes can have fillings and don't have to just have the lemon and sugar topping. Yesterday morning I decided that I would make pizza pancakes. I was really excited about trying it, but I didn't want to tell my boyfriend about it since I wasn't sure of his reaction.

Well, on our way home from me picking him up from work, I told Lee that I thought I'd try making pizza English pancakes. He immediately started getting that smile people have when they're trying not to laugh. I called him on it and he said, "Well, I can see how you got to that idea since we've had calzones, but I really don't know how it'll work with the tomato sauce..." He said I could give it a try, but he was very skeptical. He just did not think it would work. at. all. I started to worry about trying it, and almost didn't, but I really wanted to and he felt bad and said to go ahead and try it....still trying to keep a straight face. :

I found a new pizza sauce recipe to try on Recipezaar. I wasn't too sure about it because it said to serve immediately and the last quick sauce I made didn't have much flavour until the next day. I thought I'd give it a go anyway since I was reading Mexican cookbooks all day and forgot to start the sauce earlier. I then brought out the English pancake recipe I used on Shrove Tuesday and put that to work.

After cooking the first one, Lee tried it and he was shocked to find out he really liked it!!! He thought it was so strange that it would taste so good. He said he was thinking that we would also put the dusting of sugar and lemon on it and that's part of why he didn't think it would taste good. For someone so convinced it would fail, he really did love it! He said it's not fair at all that it turned out so good.

The important thing for this is to put just a thin layer of sauce and cheese on the pancake. Since it gets rolled up, a little really does go a long way. Lee put too much sauce on his and said that the sauce needed to be a bit more balanced. I had him try a bite of mine, and he agreed that he just put on too much and it was better with less sauce.

Pizza Flavor English Pancakes

1 recipe English pancakes
2 cups pizza sauce
1 cup Italian style shredded cheese

  1. Cook English pancakes according to recipe instructions.
  2. Transfer to a plate to be the "rolling plate."
  3. Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce to within ¼-½ inch of the edge. Sprinkle a thin layer of Italian blend shredded cheese. Add in desired toppings, such as pepperoni.











4. Roll and place in oven on "warm" or lowest setting while the rest of the pancakes cook. Doing this also allows the sauce to warm up and the cheese to melt.


 

Made by Lena