Sunday, May 4, 2008

Rice Pilaf with Chicken and Vegetables

Well, after a longer day with a baby shower, cleaning, and some grocery shopping, I decided I needed an easy dinner. I was so excited from a great grocery shopping trip where I got $108 worth of stuff for $36, plus got a coupon for $5 off my next shopping trip. I am so proud of myself for that trip!

Well, I just couldn't really think properly about dinner, so I decided to just use up some vegetables I had bought earlier in the week and do a variation of a dinner I make with rice pilaf, chicken, diced tomatoes, and corn. I wanted to use up some zucchini, squash, and broccoli, so decided to use them instead. After chopping up the zucchini and squash, I realized the vegetables would overwhelm the chicken and rice if I also used the broccoli, so I left that out. This turned out pretty well. The liquid from the vegetables is really hot, so it takes a little longer to cool off enough to eat than the other version, but still quite good.

I really need to start setting aside some of these dinners to keep for my lunch the next day because Lee feels he eats too much and I would like some of these dinners as leftovers. It would really be best for everyone if I could remember to do that.

Rice Pilaf with Chicken and Vegetables
1 box Near East® Chicken flavored Rice Pilaf

2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed

1 small to medium zucchini, diced

1 small to medium yellow squash, diced

  1. Cook rice according to package directions.
  2. Over medium heat, cook chicken until almost cooked through.
  3. Add vegetables, cover and cook for a few more minutes or until tender.
  4. Drain vegetables and chicken, return to sauté pan, and add rice.
  5. Mix well and serve.

 

Made by Lena