Friday, June 27, 2008

Maple Apple Crumble

I have a backlog of recipes I've made lately for the Zaar World Tour, but with the end of the school year and two friends having babies this week, and some personal things going on, I've been too busy to post! I'll get them all up eventually, because I've made some fabulous things I can't wait to share, but I'll start with last night's dessert: Maple Apple Crumble. A crumble is a less sweet version of a crisp. Some people say they are the same thing. I think the crust of a crisp is more sugary than the crust of a crumble.

This is a recipe I made for the Canada part of the Zaar World Tour. I wasn't very sure how much I'd like it because of the maple syrup. I was worried there would be too much of a maple taste, but it was delicious. It had just a hint of maple flavor. The only thing I would prefer is to have more cinnamon than the original recipe calls for. In my posted recipe I have increased the cinnamon and change the method a little.

Maple-Apple Crumble
Serves 4

2 fuji (or other tart cooking apples), peeled, cored, and diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
51g butter, softened
50g brown sugar, packed
42g all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
26g rolled oats
4 tablespoons maple syrup

  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. Combine apples and cinnamon. Divide into 4 ramekins. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar.
  4. Add the flour, salt, and oats. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour one heaping teaspoon of maple syrup over apples in each ramekin.
  6. Cover each ramekin with 1/4 oat mixture.
  7. Place ramekins on baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
  8. You may serve with a scoop of ice cream, or go with Lee and have custard or cream!

 

Made by Lena