Sunday, January 27, 2008

Frittata

I haven't done a breakfast recipe yet, so I decided to try one today. I was looking through the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook that I borrowed from the library and came across a recipe for frittata.

I saw a recipe variation that included tomatoes, and decided to go with that and use the plum tomatoes I had, rather than the sun-dried tomatoes the recipe called for since I didn't have any. I also left out the onion since I only had a red onion and I thought a while would have been better.

This was a lot easier to make than I thought it would be. I wasn't able to get the tomatoes and herbs on the bottom of the frittata, but it still tasted very good.

Here's my version of the recipe:

Frittata with Tomatoes and Basil

6 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons basil (I used dried), chopped
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In an oven proof, nonstick skillet, heat up to medium and put in olive oil and heat.
  3. Mix eggs, basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes in a bowl. Once skillet is hot, pour in the egg mixture.
  4. Once the bottom has set (about 30 seconds) start lifting up the bottom and allowing the uncooked egg to run down. Keep doing this until the frittata is mostly set but still soft.
  5. Place in oven and finish cooking until completely set.
  6. Invert onto serving dish and slice for serving.

 

Made by Lena