Sunday, September 21, 2008

Apple Cider

I love going apple picking in the fall. I didn't get to go last year, but Lee and I did go this year. We went to a place that has apple and pear picking. We got 10 Bosc pears and a bunch of MacIntosh, Cortland, Royal Gala, Empire, and Liberty apples. Today I started a cook-a-thon with the 20 pounds of fruit we got!

I've started some apple butter, but can't post about that yet because it's still simmering. I'm also going to make something with the pears later this week after they have ripened.

One thing I did start and finish today was apple cider. It turned out really well and I didn't even have to use a press!!

The only problem I had was straining the pulp at the end. I was squeezing the cheese cloth and I had a load of pulp squirt all over the wall!

My cider turned out just a little watered down, but I'd just make sure not to put quite so much water in next time. It still tasted delicious, though!

I'm not sure how often I'll make cider, but this is a great recipe to keep on hand if I have a bunch of apples that need using up!

Apple Cider (yields 1/2-3/4 gallon)

10 apples (I used a mix of all apples we picked)
½-1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cinnamon (or 4 sticks)
4 tablespoons allspice

  1. Cut apples into quarters, leaving all parts intact.
  2. Place apples in a large stock pot and pour enough water to cover all but the top layer of apples.
  3. Place in spices (put in cheese cloth to keep separated).
  4. Bring to a boil and boil for one hour.
  5. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 2 hours.
  6. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  7. Remove spices and mash apples, using a potato masher, to a pulp-like consistency.
  8. Strain through a double layer cheese cloth, squeezing out any extra juice.


 

Made by Lena